The intentions of Pope Francis for the month of February:
- Universal: That those involved in scientific research will serve the well being of the whole human person.
- For Evangelization: That the unique contribution of women to the church may be recognized always.
Dear Parishioners of OLM & OLS:
One of the three legs of the Lenten Tripod is ALSMGIVING.
Usually, just prior to Lent, during one of the weekends of February, you are invited to participate in the Archbishop’s Annual Appeal. This year in Our Lady of Sorrow and Our Lady of Mercy, the annual campaign will not be taken up. The reason for this is that our parishes are in the first phase of an Archdiocesan Capital Campaign entitled: “We Are Living Stones.”
During the month of March, I will be reaching out to you, asking you to come to the financial aid of our Archdiocese. This Capital Campaign will ask you for a substantial gift to our local Church in a pledge to be redeemed over four years.
The Development Office of the Archdiocese will be working with me in making this appeal. A series of reception will take place during which the reasoning behind this financial effort will be presented to you. At OLM there will be several of these opportunities. At OLS, because we are smaller, one reception will be presented.
We all recognize that we live in challenging financial times. Please recognize that the Church, as a living institution, operates in the same financial climate. The Archdiocese is in need of your help.
In the spirit of the Lenten admonition to ALMSGIVING, I ask you to open your ears and your hearts to this appeal of your Archdiocese.
My love and my prayers,
Archdiocese of Newark 2015 Lenten Regulations
- The days of both fast and abstinence during Lent are Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. The other Fridays of Lent are days of abstinence. On a day of fast only one full meal is permitted. Those between the ages of 18 and 59 are obliged to fast. On a day of abstinence, no meat may be eaten. Those who have reached the age of 14 are obliged by the law of abstinence.
- The obligation to observe the laws of fast and abstinence “substantially”, or as a whole, is a serious obligation.
- The Fridays of the year, outside of Lent, are designated as days of penance, but each individual may substitute for the traditional abstinence from meat some other practice of voluntary self-denial as penance.
- The time for fulfilling the Paschal Precept ((Easter Duty*) extends from the first Sunday of Lent, February 22, 2015 to the solemnity of the Most Holy Trinity, May 31, 2015.
Attention Couples Celebrating Five Year, Silver and Golden Wedding Anniversaries
Our Archdiocese is preparing to honor those couples in our Archdiocese who will be celebrating five, twenty-five and fifty years of Christian Marriage in the year 2015. These anniversary liturgies will be celebrated by Archbishop John J Myers in the Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart in Newark.
On April 19, 2015 at 3pm all Golden Jubilarians are invited to join the Archbishop in the celebration of a solemn mass of thanksgiving.
On May 3 at 3pm all five-year celebrants together with all celebrating 25 years of Christian Marriage are invited to a similar celebration with our Archbishop.
Registration forms are available at the Parish Office.